Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Phoenix Zoo

While in AZ, we also had the chance to visit the Phoenix Zoo, which I remember from my childhood along with the surrounding valley. It was so crazy taking my very own kiddo there.

Awww, baby monkey. (Okay, okay, I know it's an orangutan. Work with me here, people.)

Another baby monkey ... wearing -- yes -- a baby monkey shirt. (Aha, now you see the need for artistic license on the first pic, do you not?)

Soooo cool. And way old. These guys live into the hundreds, you know. And later, we got to see them making baby turtles. Choice. They were very noisy, in case you wanted to know. I never knew Galapagos tortoises could be noisy.

I just love him.

Pop quiz: What do you do when you see water running under a little bridge in the middle of the zoo? Answer: Well, if you're a little boy, apparently you hit the deck and play in it, of course.

My cuz, Danielle, and me, striking a "Little Mermaid"-esque pose. "Uh-we are the daugh-ters of Triton ... ah-ah-ah"

Children's farm.

I swear that big goat was there when I was there 25 years ago. Aunt Karen said he had pretty bad dandruff. Ewww.

My little guy brushing the goats. I remember coming to this very spot with my elementary school class. No joke.

Cam chillin' with my Aunt Karen and cousin, Danielle, on the safari bus/train thingy. We were all bushed at the end of the day, so we opted to see the African animals in style rather than on foot. Totally worth the few bucks.

Camel-back, a familiar view from many places in the valley, and also right off the edge of the zoo. Now, there's an image from my childhood.

Doesn't this look like an oasis? So beautiful. I wanted to get the shot with the giraffes in view, but I missed it. It was even more striking with their spotted forms crossing the vista.

What a fun day! Thanks to the Valles for taking us!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Baby Apes?? Grape Ape:-)