While I was in AZ, my tio took me to visit my old stomping grounds in Scottsdale. So much and so little has changed in 22 years.
Our street. It's not very long. Maybe 6 houses? This is the sign on the corner across from the park where we used to play.
My house. That white fence (left side) used to extend all the way around the yard. And the yard used to be grass. Whoah. I remember that yard being a lot bigger. And our huge palm is gone now, too. Mom & Dad, remember the baby birds?
It's so funny that the ranch style with a carport design is what I live in now, too, with my own little family. (Only we weren't such a little family. Even back then, there were six of us Harrisons.)
And at the other end of the street was our chapel. We used to walk to church. I'm pretty sure I totally freaked out some musicians that were in there practicing. But I just couldn't resist getting a peak at the chapel.
Not too far away ... my first elementary school, Yavapi. I was in Mrs. Haltigan's kindergarten class there in 1985. I get the feeling from the sign that they might not have too many English speakers there anymore.
Here's a view of Yavapai. We went looking for my next school, Tonto, where I went to 1st grade, but are pretty sure they tore it down. (Poppa always thought it was funny that they named a school, "tonto," which means "stupid" in Spanish.) And I think Meyer, where I went to 2nd grade, was in Tempe.
What a trip to visit these places. I may or may not have gotten tears in my eyes. I know, I know. What a hopeless sap I am! It really was pretty surreal to go back after all this time.
1 comment:
Whoa, that church looks much like Curt's grandma's...I'll have to ask him what street it's on. Yay for Phoenix!
Post a Comment