Monday, May 17, 2010

Concussion

Camden tripped and fell today and had his first concussion. Poor little guy. He threw up 8 times in about 5 hours, landing us first at the pediatrician's office and then at Children's ER. In spite of being dragged all over town and being poked and prodded by numerous doctors and nurses throughout the day, he was such a good sport -- a real little trooper -- and continually made us smile. He is such a sweet boy. Here are some choice moments from the midst of the ordeal:

The doctor was testing his vision and memory:
Doc: Do you know where you are?
Cam: At the kid hospital.
Doc: And do you know who this is? *points to mommy*
Cam: (long pause; doc starts to look worried) Melody Feist! We're the Feistes!
Doc: *laughs* (to the nurse) Well, I was just expecting him to say "Mommy." (to Camden) And how many mommies do you see: one or two?
Cam: One.
Doc: Good. And how does Mommy look? Does she look fuzzy? How does she look?
Cam: Mommy looks pretty. *weak smile*
(Awwww! Melt my heart! The doctor and the nurse swooned too.)

Lying on the table, pale as a sheet:
Cam: It's okay mommy. You can come right up here and give me a snuggle and a kiss on the cheek.
(And of course, I did!)

To the nurse, who was washing out his basin:
Cam: *lifts head a little off the pillow* Thank you for cleaning up my throw-up. Thank you.
(I thought the nurse would melt right there on the floor.)

At the ER:
Doc: What's your name?
Cam: It's right there on my bracelet. You can read it! It says C-A-M-D-E-N.
Doc: (to me) Um, well, I think he's doing okay.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Sounds like you guys know how to have fun! I'm glad Camden is ok (you too - that must have been hard!). He's a sharp dude!

Riquino Family said...

What a smart little man! I'm glad things turned out well.

I love your family pictures above. So cute!

candace said...

Haha! So awesome! Go Camden for being a sweetheart and a smartie! And of course, I'm so glad that he's ok! :)

mikbeth said...

So sad you had to go through the drama, but what adorable little stories!! I LOVE Camden! What a cutie!