Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Really?

Trent lost his job unexpectedly Friday morning. Corporate politics. Who knew that Wells Fargo post a couple weeks ago would end up being basically an "Ode to His Time There"? Ah, the irony.

Even though it's a hard transition, a feeling of peace has settled on our family and on our home. I know we will make it through this together. We are a great team, and at least at the end of the day, we still have each other. In the long-run, that's what's most important anyway. My boys. I love them. Also, peace comes from knowing we can still put food on the table, literally. Thanks to following our wise bishop's counsel, we have at least 6 months worth of food preserved from our garden, filling our pantry, and dry-packed, as well as a year's worth of laundry detergent, plenty of TP and toiletries, etc. Here's to emergency preparedness, even when you don't know what you're preparing for! Turns out a blizzard, earthquake, or other natural disaster isn't the only emergency that can come a-knockin'.

My Trent is talented in so many ways and so extremely hardworking, and I know he'll find something. (Maybe even something he enjoys a little more!) In the mean time, we are just so happy to be together. Even before he got his traveling position, for the past 8 months he's been working 12- to 13-hour days and 6-day weeks. We've all been putting on brave faces for a long time. But the truth is: We've missed him. And for now, we don't have to. And I've decided ... I'll take it.

Really, it's kind of an adventure in so many ways. I mean, don't we all get kind of tired of the mundane daily grind once in a while? Not us! Not now! We're partying on powdered milk and hunting for a mysterious unknown future together. And me? I'm trying not to hobble around like an old lady 5 weeks after major abdominal surgery, and mostly it's working. :) Life is most d e f i n i t e l y not boring. Mundane? Nope. Not a bit.

We are going to be okay. I know it. The Lord will watch over us. He always does.

8 comments:

candace said...

Melody, I will for sure keep your family in our prayers here. I think that your outlook is great. And the Lord has something way better for you guys. Change is hard and not something that I like. Moving from CO to AZ 2 years ago was scary and hard, but the Lord had a lot of wonderful things waiting for us out here. I can't wait to see what he has in store for your family :) Hang in there! You will be ok I know :)

Grandma Ricki said...

We know you will all be fine and trust that something better will come from all of this. I choose to believe that the Lord has a way of righting wrongs like this, and only He knows what the future holds.

red rabbit family said...

Well, how crummy of Wells Fargo. What a rotten deal. Now on to better things!

Erin said...

Oh Melody, I am so sorry to hear this news. What a stressful time for you guys. I'm hoping and praying Trent finds a great job soon.

I'm so glad that you have your food storage and your faith! The Lord does indeed bless us when we heed his counsel. What a wonderful example of faith and obedience you are to me.

I wish your family peace and the best of luck during this time! And I hope you are feeling better, too!

Riquino Family said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Trent's job. This economy right now can definitely be unpredictable. You sound like you are in great spirits, and you are so prepared! Way to go on all the food storage and supplies!

Keep up the positive thoughts....you WILL make it through this! I know I am a state away from you, but if you ever need anything, we are here for you!

Pamela Wiscombe said...

Melody, I was sad to hear that Trent lost his job, but know what it is like. My husband lost his 4 months ago, and with faith and prayers we know that something better will come along. I know he will find something better too. I hope that you are feeling better, and that you continue to smile through all the hard times. Family and friends and love and the gospel are all that you need to survive. Love you.

J, K, L, and D said...

I love you. I needed to read this today. You have such a way of sharing your experiences so that others can feel the Spirit & know that everything is going to be okay. I keep telling myself what Pres. Hinckley used to say - "Don't worry so much. It will all work out."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this & also on Pipo. You are a beautiful writer...and person, Melody. I just love you.

Hope you are recovering, soaking up time with your boys, & otherwise doing well. We think of you guys & pray for you often...

The Layton Family said...

You and your family are in our prayers!