~~~~~~~~~~
For those of you who have been watching the news and may have wondered....
Some Mormon women sing...

Some Mormon women dance...

Some Mormon women write scary stories...

Some Mormon women have lots of money and really great hair...

I know hundreds of Mormon women. They do all kinds of different things and live all different kinds of lives.
This woman served as a leader in the Mormon church. She recently spoke to teenage girls worldwide. She encouraged them to stand up to peer pressure, strengthen their families and serve others. (Click here for more.)None of the Mormon women I know look like this...

None of them are marrying off their teenage daughters and--although some may joke about wanting a sister-wife (preferably one who is really fat and ugly, does bathrooms and changes diapers)--none of them really want to share their husband with anyone.
Furthermore...
Some Mormon guys can throw a ball...

Some Mormon guys yell at the ball...

Some Mormon guys make scary movies...

Some Mormon guys have a lot of money and really great hair...

I know hundreds of Mormon guys. They do all kinds of different things and live all kinds of different lives.
This is one of the leaders of the Mormon church. Last Sunday he spoke about honoring women, especially mothers, and gave advice to husbands and children about how to treat the women in their lives. (For the whole story, click here.)None of the Mormon men I know look like this...

The Mormon men I know are honest and hard-working. They don't cheat, smoke, drink or gamble. And TRUST ME ... the last thing any of them want is another wife.
(I received this message as a forward, but instead of bombarding everyone's email boxes with it, I thought I'd put it on my blog -- for people to read or not to read. However, if you would like a copy of the message, let me know and I'll pass it along. ~m)
9 comments:
I loved you posting this! And can you send it to me at my email? Thanks!
Melody,
Your blog entry is well done! I do feel so very sorry for the little
children of these families who have been yanked away from their mothers and the only lives they have ever known. I can't imagine how frightened they must be. I was really hoping that there would be an effort made to place the
children in LDS families for foster care, where they would be nurtured and accepted, and where the transition would at least have some familiarity with scriptures that the children know. And maybe that is being done and is not
part of the media coverage of all of this. Still, all of the children are the most important consideration, because they have to be suffering emotional trauma. I'd just like to scoop all of them up in my arms and reassure them that they have done nothing wrong and that there are people out there who care about them.
Love,
Mom
I really liked you posting this. I would like a copy by e-mail, if you don't mind. Your links have, also, inspired me to put some links on our blog for others to browse if they like. The recent events in the news has had us talking, as well as me talking with friends, about what people of other faiths think or don't think we believe. Your postings present great way to share what we actually do believe. Thanks!
I think it was a great message to send, considering the confusion between the FLDS Church and the Latter-day Saint Church. I wasn't aware (until this became a big issue in the news) that they read the same scriptures and honor Joseph Smith as a prophet.
I hope it goes around the entire world, and I hope that people will take especially good care of the children involved.
I actually found this same forward quite offensive and hateful. It is interesteing how differently people can view things.
Wow! It is interesting how different people view things like this. My intention was not at all to be hateful or offensive. It was simply, as I stated in my post, to join in the worldwide conversation on the issue and to make clear the distinction between the two churches, which many news organizations have failed to do. I do not hate the FLDS. I do hate the fact that children have been raped, and I hope, as my mother-in-law, Ricki, pointed out, that the children are being placed in homes that will be loving, safe, and supportive.
Today I was reading a talk titled "Testimony" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks from the last General Conference, in April 2008. When I came across this segment, I thought, "That is exactly why I felt the need to post this message on my blog." He says:
"We live in a time when some misrepresent the beliefs of those they call Mormons and even revile us because of them. When we encounter such misrepresentations, we have a duty to speak out to clarify our doctrine and what we believe. We should be the ones to state our beliefs rather than allowing others the final word in misrepresenting them."
(The entire talk is at http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-851-10,00.html)
I have been thinking about your post a lot. I realized that my wording seems harsh and accusatory. What I should have said was, for a different pont of view please read http://wyrickworld.blogspot.com/2008/04/offensive-forwarding-mormons-in-news.html
I have a different view point and am sometimes quite opinionated.
I love you Melody, I am sorry if I sounded like I was trying to accuse you of being hateful. I do not think you have the capacity for such behavior.
YESSSSSS!!!!! I LOVE this my fav part is prolly
some women write scary storys
haha stephenie mayer!!!
but those stories arnt scary :)
love you lots :P thanks melody
Post a Comment