Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tag, I'm It

Nora tagged me with this one. I'm supposed to describe 6 things that aren't generally known about me. I'm sure my biggest blog reader will know all this stuff, but everyone else might not.

1. I miss karate. In high school, I got really good at Chi To Ru Karate, earning a rank of Brown III (brown is the last belt before black). I even won second place in katas at a tournament and became an instructor for a while. I miss it like crazy. It was such great exercise and so much fun that I (almost) forgot I was working out. I had a pretty good washboard stomach for a while! I walked into a dojo once a couple years ago to inquire about classes, but I lost my nerve. The head of the school was quite a piece of work, plus I couldn't figure out how I was going to pay for it. Maybe someday when my kids are grown, I'll go back.

2. I hate shopping for myself. Trent buys most of my wardrobe. Good thing he has good taste!

3. I am happier when I am on a diet-and-exercise plan. Half the time, I don't think it's really even about getting to that target weight. What does that say about me? I guess I prefer an organized, regimented life and the success that comes from disciplining myself.

4. I hate trying new things. I always get mad at myself because I want to be good at everything right away. Generally, I'm pretty patient with others, but not with myself. Sometime, ask Trent about teaching me to ski.

5. I am intensely competitive. A couple of examples: (1) Trent and I went to a charity auction a few months ago. Trent was dying laughing because after he bid on something in the silent auction segment, I started circling the table like a shark, daring anybody with my eyes, to beat it. (2) A couple days ago, Cam and I went to the mall to walk for exercise. Afterward, as I was loading him up in the car, I heard another mom across the aisle in the parking garage telling her kids, "Hurry up, or she's going to beat us!" Now... I'm a mom, too. And I know it was probably just a ploy to get her little kids excited about hurrying into their car seats. However, I didn't want to lose, so I hurried and scrambled the stroller into the back, jumped into the car, and pulled out seconds before them (whew!) just in the nick of time. I have to laugh at myself when I do things like that, but I just can't help it.

6. I would love to be a dancer. I was in a show choir in high school, and I got a taste of ballroom in college and went nuts for it. When I went home, I found a studio and took classes there for a while. If I had the time and the money, I would love to dance all the time... even though I struggle at first with a new routine and I feel like it takes me 10 times as long as anyone else to learn.

I tag Granmy (Go ahead, Momma, you can do it! Put up a new blog!) and Katie Leake

No comments: