Christmas with a four-year-old this year was a magical experience, full of wonder, excitement, and newness that I hadn't felt in years. Some of the conversations we had were priceless, as Camden's little wheels were turning all season, trying to figure everything out -- from how the wisemen get to our house and travel all over the world on those camels, to why there are so many different kinds of candy canes and "why doesn't Santa just come in the front door?" Here are a few token memories:
It was the first year Trent and I each took him shopping for the other parent and he actually had solid input on the subject. When I took him out, he really wanted to get Daddy "a real cowboy hat." Now, we do live in Colorado, and I'm sure with some planning I could have found an authentic 10-gallon hat. However, I talked him out of it. Next on the list was "a tie with our house on it." (Trent went ballistic with a full choreographed light show on the house this year.) We did manage to find a Christmas tie that reminded him of our house, so that worked out. Also a Santa tie, a cotton-candy-flavored lollipop, and a blue (Trent's favorite color) clock for Daddy's workshop. So cute.
From what I understand, the boys' shopping trip went something like this.
C: I want to get mommy roses. (Trent explained that they'd have to wait until Christmas Eve, then.)
At the floral shop:
C: I need roses for my mommy -- red roses. That's what she really likes. (I'm not sure how he knew that, but he's right, they are my favorite.)
Salesperson: How many roses?
C: Lots!
T: How about a dozen?
C: A dozen red roses for my mommy, please. (Then he paid "all by himself" with Trent's credit card.)
Apparently, the salesperson thought he was so cute that she cut him a discount. :) I almost melted when he came scampering in the door with them and Trent told me the story.
On Christmas Eve, I was up all night with him because of growing pains, massaging his legs/feet and drying his tears. At about 3:30 a.m., I was not very amused anymore. In addition to being 7 months pregnant, the night shift was a bit much. As I was tucking him in for the third time that night, he hugged me and said, "Momma, this is what Christmas is all about: being together and love." Aw. How could I be annoyed at that? I went back to bed shaking my head and laughing a little bit to myself.

1 comment:
One of the most precious Baby Boo moments of all time! I love him so...much!
Post a Comment